FAQ: Hydration & Packs
What makes SOURCE reservoirs Easy Care & Low Maintenance?
All our hydration systems are based on a unique film technology, specially developed for our systems, called Glass Like™. It implements liner technology that prevents bio-film build up, making it a self cleaning system.
Surface analysis through AFM (Atomic Force Microscope) shows that our film is 1000% smoother than that of our competitor’s films, with only 50% difference from glass itself. Combined with our Grunge Guard™ technology, the system is Easy Care & Low Maintenance.
The same water will remain fresh for days and even weeks.
For more info check our Hydration System Technology page.
Is the tube also Easy Care & Low Maintenance?
We recommend rinsing and cleaning the tube from time to time. It’s more exposed to UV radiation and sugar residue can accumulate when using energy drinks. To dry the tube after use, detach it from pack and remove valve.
We highly recommend using our Tube Brush Kit (click here for details & online orders).
How to fill a Widepac™ reservoir?
Please follow these instructions:
- Open reservoir by sliding Widepac™ Closure off sideways and unfolding top.
- Press lightly on the sides of the reservoir’s wide opening and fill the reservoir.
- The reservoir is designed to store cold as well as warm drinks (up to 60ºC/140ºF). You can add ice for cold drinks, or even freeze water in the reservoir overnight.
- Fold top and close reservoir’s wide opening by sliding back Widepac™ Closure
Caution: Do not fill with boiling water!
Please Note: Only one end of the Widepac™ Closure is open, but you can slide it onto the reservoir top from left or right.
How to Drink from a Helix™ valve?
First time use:
- Remove hygienic plastic wrap from Helix-Valve™
- Unlock valve from shut-off CLOSED position by turning mouthpiece 180º counter-clockwise (until it locks in OPEN position).
- To drink, bite lightly on the Helix-Valve™ silicone bite-groove and sip.
- To lock valve, turn mouthpiece 180º clockwise until it locks in CLOSED position.
Notes: To get maximum flow, bite only slightly on the silicone biting zone. Strong biting will result in blocking the valve orifice and no liquid will flow.
Tips: To avoid the first warm sip in hot weather: after drinking, bite lightly on Helix-Valve™ for a couple of seconds while keeping your lips apart to let air into the tube: The liquid in the tube returns to the reservoir.
How to clean the reservoir?
We recommend to wash the reservoir if it was filled with liquids other than water (such as sweetened beverages) or before prolonged storing.
To clean the reservoir:
- Disconnect the tube: push the release button of the SQC™ connector.
- Slide off Widepac™ closure for wide opening access.
- Wash reservoir with soapy water or a natural sterilizer, such as lemon juice (chemical materials can damage the film and are NOT recommended). If necessary scrub with a soft brush. Rinse well.
- Dry reservoir completely as described in “How to dry drinking system after use”, slide the wideslide back.
- Reconnect the tube and store the system in a dry place.
- If necessary, clean the tube and valve.
- Never use boiling water.
- Do not scrub reservoir with abrasive materials.
For more info please download Use and Care guide (PDF) for your Hydration System:
- Widepac Care and Use instructions
- Clear Care and Use instructions
- WXP Care and Use instructions
- Brush Kit Care and Use instructions
How to clean the tube and drinking valve?
To clean the tube
- Disassemble or remove the drinking valve (see below).
- Leave the tube connected to your reservoir, block the open end of the tube with your thumb and fill the reservoir with water.
- Close reservoir.
- Fold the reservoir from the top down and let the water flow through the tube.
- Re-attach or re-assemble the valve.
To disassemble and clean the HELIX™ valve
- Turn the valve opening clockwise, 90º halfway opened, align the central notch on the the rim of the mouthpiece with the arrow on the valve’s neck and pull apart (drawing 15).
- Wash with mild soapy water and rinse several times.
- To re-assemble: Align the central notch with the arrow, push the mouthpiece slightly on its track and turn 90º clockwise to CLOSED position.
To disassemble and clean the STORM™ valve
- To disassemble STORM™ valve: firmly hold the angled connector in one hand and the rubber part in the other and pull apart while applying a gentle twist (drawing 19).
- Wash with mild soapy water and rinse several times.
How to dry hydration system after use?
During regular use with drinking water there is no need to drain, dry, or clean your hydration system. Simply refill and drink again and again without special care. As long as your drinking water is not exposed to direct sunlight, water in your drinking system will remain fresh for days and even weeks. If you are using energy drinks or sweetened liquids we recommend that you follow the cleaning instructions after every usage.
How to dry your SOURCE Hydration System
- Open the reservoir by sliding Widepac™-Closure off sideways and unfold the top.
- Drain reservoir completely and hang it upside down.
- Insert slider between the handle holes so that reservoir stays open.
- To speed up drying time, remove tube and insert it into the reservoir (see picture). You may also use paper towels to dry reservoir.
- When dry, fold top and close reservoir’s wide opening and slide back Widepac™ Closure. Store in a clean and dry place.
Tip: After prolonged storage, rinse reservoir with water and a few drops of lemon juice.